Saturday 31 July 2010

1992 Golden Demon Awards

This was to be the final time I entered Golden Demon, this time at the Birmingham NEC, an even bigger noisier venue!  The piece was finished in about two months and on the whole I was quite happy with it, especially as the competition basing restrictions were even tighter this year in not allowing any overhang of the pre determined base size, so a lot to squeeze in! The sculpting of the gold Minotaur when I look at it now seems very naive by today’s standards or even by the standards in 1992! But on the whole I don’t think it detracts from the piece too much. In the end the piece achieved a bronze demon in the diorama category, although no picture was ever published of it in white Dwarf etc. which was a shame, but there you go and here it is now anyway! This was to be the final piece painted in acrylics for a few years.













6 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful piece of work, Steve. I can see nothing wrong with that statue to be honest. What gold did you use on it? Also, I love the flesh on the minotaurs. What did you use for that - or is it all too long ago to remember?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit of a test on the old grey cells! The gold was some form of very smelly gilding paint as used by picture frame restorers, cellulose based if I remember correctly. Flesh tones were done with Windsor and Newton artist tube acrylics. Thanks for the comments and some lovely Old School stuff on your blog!

      Cheers

      Steve

      Delete
    2. Well remembered! Thanks for letting me know, cheers Steve. Was that skin shaded W&N inks as well then? Many thanks for the compliments too. Means a lot to me coming from yourself.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Ed, I didn't really use inks a lot at that stage but relied on sepia and burnt umber paint washes, the tube acrylics thinned down nicely so no real need to use inks

      Cheers

      Steve

      Delete
    4. I may just give them a go. Thanks again Steve for the advice.

      Delete
  2. Great information ! I thankful to author of this blog who sharing such a useful information, I also subscribe your blog for all future post. I have also share some useful links.
    McAfee.com/activate,
    www.mcafee.com/activate

    ReplyDelete